Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Current Events 5.1

1.  For the Republican party, Ted Cruz held the lead in Texas with 41.6% of the vote.  For the Democratic party, Hillary Clinton took the lead in Texas with 67% of the vote.

2.  The million-dollar donation has helped 1,080 students graduate high school and continue onto college.

3.  Savara Pharmaceuticals, with their $20 million, has created an antibiotic for Cystic Fibrosis that can be inhaled.

4.  The film I'd see would be "Before We Go," because Chris Evans.  No further explanation needed.  (I'm a huge freaking MARVEL nerd.)  (...And a huge freaking everything else nerd.)

5.  The Kansas Jayhawks beat the UT boys' basketball team, and the Baylor Bears beat the UT women's basketball team.

6.  No, I most certainly do not think Apple should be forced to create a "back door" to information on iPhones.  That's risking the safety of the private information of everyone who has an iPhone.  I'm willing to bet at least 80% of the population of this school alone has an iPhone, and leaving all of that information at risk to anyone smart and determined enough to find their ways around it is not only highly unintelligent, but will cause a lot of people to lose their trust in Apple.
     I wouldn't want anyone rifling through my phone, even my closest of friends.  I don't exactly go keeping extremely private information on it, but it is my phone.  I read stupid fanfiction and lurk on fan sites and social media to find spoilers for shows and upcoming books and read on my Kindle app and take stupid quizzes for my randoms and I do not need anyone to know all of it.  I'm not ashamed, but it's my business, and mine only.  In general, "national security" shouldn't be reason enough for the FBI to carry out anything; they need to have a little bit more than that.  And "national security" is also a problem of Apple's side of things, too.
     My parent's most definitely do not censor my phone, and I'd honestly be horrified if they did - not because I'm doing anything bad, but for all the reasons above.  Gods, it's such an invasion of privacy. I should be able to say what I want to my friends or read what I want on the internet or take whatever quizzes I want on QuizUp without being paranoid that my parents are watching as I do it.  As for if parents should be doing it, it should depend on the child.  If they're truly trustworthy, their children should be awarded with not having all of their actions censored.  If they've proven themselves untrustworthy, as far as decisions and friend-making go, parents should keep an eye on what their children are doing or saying on their phones.
     I was exposed to electronic devices when I was seven (I got my first flip-phone), because I was going to be taking an airplane trip to Georgia by myself to visit my mom.  The phone was for contacting the people back home in Texas without my seven-year-old mind having to memorize phone numbers.  Children can be exposed to electronic devices at a young age if it's necessary, like it was for me.  But any younger than fifth or sixth grade, and it can take away  so many good things from their childhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment