Monday, May 9, 2016

Current Events 6.2

1.  Nearly 56% of voters rejected Proposition 1.

2.  The provision of the campus gun laws at UT states that a license holder carrying a semi-automatic handgun on campus cannot have a chambered round of ammunition so as to reduce the change of accidental discharge.

3.  El Chapo's new prison is rated very low for inmate conditions.  The site of the prison is also believed to be controlled by cartel.

4.  Petcube is a company that keeps people connected with their pets while away from their place of residence.

5.  Nyquist won the Kentucky Derby yesterday.

6.  I've never used Lyft or Uber to get a ride anywhere.  The fact that I never go anywhere within Austin is probably a reason, but another is that getting in cars with strangers that probably don't have significant background checks isn't very appealing.  I've heard stories of super unfriendly people driving for Uber and Lyft, and that kind of negativity is completely unnecessary, especially if I'm just trying to go the library to get some work done, or something.  Prop 1 is something I probably would've voted for, if I had known what it was at the time when some guy came up to my door asking me to give him my opinion on it.
    Ride sharing is certainly beneficial to a city like Austin, and everyone has their own choice as to whether or not they want to take advantage of it.  Despite my distrust, I can see how it would help out a lot of people - but just because it's an app, or it was started by someone other than the government, doesn't mean it should've still be held to the same safety standards.  It's basically the same concept as taxis (except it's from home, not a building-oriented company), so it should be just as safe, if not more.

No comments:

Post a Comment